January 25, 2018
- You can now switch to smaller views of the fretboard (12 and 15 frets). This should make things a little less busy especially for beginners.
January 12, 2018
- Added support for the Blues scale (minor and major).
January 6, 2018
- Added a welcome tour of the site to help new users quickly see how the site works.
- Also added a more detailed tour of the site that users can go through by clicking on the link at the top of the page.
November 13, 2017
- Changed colors of root notes to make them stand out a bit more.
- Cleaned up page header.
October 27, 2017
Introduced a new Triads mode which only shows the root, 3rd, and 5th scale degrees on the fretboard. Look for it in the Settings menu
(the gear icon in the bottom right).
- Moved the Prefer pentatonic option to the Settings menu where it makes more sense.
August 13, 2017
- Now highlight the 3rd/5th scale degrees in a different color to make them stand out a bit more. E.g., it should make finding triads easier.
August 12, 2017
- Added a Prefer pentatonic option in the Scale menu. Should be handy for anyone wanting to focus on the pentatonic scales.
January 8, 2017
- New blog for the site is now up and running: blog.guitartube.org.
- Moved to a more permanent hosting provider.
December 30, 2016
- Added support for the 3 Notes Per String system (3NPS).
December 25, 2016
- You can now set key and scale via query string parameters ('key' and 'scale').
- Fixed bug around playlistid URL param no longer working.
- Now use 'f' and 's' to represent flats and sharps respectively. This is primarily relevant to whenever notes are specified in query string parameters.
- Fixed bug in auto-detect code around ampersand characters messing things up.
- Fixed click region of share buttons.
- Lots and lots of tests written now that there's a fair amount of code behind the scenes and it was starting to get easy to regress things.
December 21, 2016
- Fretboard gets cleared whenever auto-detection of key/scale type fails.
- Added support for a new URL parameter called 's' to enable searching via URL.
- Fixed bug that made user searches return less relevant results.
December 20, 2016
- Added support for a new query parameter called 'fb' to set the key and scale via the URL. This is a temporary thing as I will be adding more specific parameters soon.
December 19, 2016
December 18, 2016
- Improved auto-detection logic for key and scale/mode type.
- New logo added.
December 16, 2016
- The CAGED system positions are now identified above and below the fretboard.
- Address bar now gets automatically updated for the current backing track. That means you could now share the URL with friends to send them a link to this site and a specific video.
- Lots of tweaks and work in the core engine.
December 12, 2016
- You can now watch lick playlists in specific keys.
- You can now share the current backing track on Twitter by clicking on Tweet button next to the track's title.
- Sharing through Facebook is now available too.
- Added a Twitter follow button to the footer.
- Added a Facebook Like button to the footer.
December 11, 2016
- Searching now focuses more on backing tracks automatically increasing the likelihood of what you'll get back being something you can jam to.
- Basic updates to site to get some minimal SEO requirements in place.
December 10, 2016
- Fixed up menu mouse pointers, highlight hovers, etc.
December 8, 2016
- Tons of responsive layout and CSS improvements. Tons.
December 7, 2016
- You can now choose a mode/scale and a playlist gets created for you that focuses on that mode/scale.
- You can now choose a key/root and a playlist gets created for you that focuses on that key/root.
- Improved auto-detection logic around pentatonic scales.
- Fixed bug auto-detect failed due to a 'special' characters in the video's metadata. The calls to the web api were getting blocked.
December 6, 2016
- Pretty significant facelift over the last couple days.
- Added playlists for many genres. Full list now is: Acoustic, Blues, Country, Funk, Grunge, Jazz, Metal, Pop, Punk, Reggae, and Rock.
December 4, 2016
December 3, 2016
- You can now search for videos to jam to. For example, search for "dorian lessons" and you'll get a playlist made for you on the fly.
- Updated list of available tunings to (hopefully) make them more intuitive.
- Menus for the fretboard toolbar now drop up instead of down.
December 2, 2016
- You can now change the number of strings and tuning used on the fretboard.
- Now accept YouTube playlist ID via query parameters (E.g., http://guitartube.org/?playlistid=PLbs_3knIqd9Xg3aFRWVOJjCRXbmqYciXN).
- Moved options from header to fretboard area (makes more sense there methinks).
December 1, 2016
- By default now show scale degrees. Can be disabled via new option.
- Users can now select the number of frets to show on the fretboard.
- Now accept YouTube video ID via query parameters (E.g., http://guitartube.org?videoid=8FD6tntABXs).
- Much improved auto-detection of root/key and scale/modes.
- Added link to project roadmap site in footer.
- Made the embedded YouTube player smaller.
November 30, 2016
- Added "Minor Harmonic" to the list of selectable scales.
- Added an option for left-handed folks. Click on the gear icon in the top left to get to it.
November 29, 2016
- New playlist added: Metal, Uptempo Blues, Funk.
- Playlists are now shuffled and looped by default except for the first track in each list.
- Disabled automatically playing videos. User now has to click on the play button to get things going.
- More improvements for narrower browsers.
- Posted about the site on Reddit and got some good feedback.
November 28, 2016
- Added support for selecting genres of playlists to jam to.
- Fretboard now fits in a portrait mode iPhone 6 or higher.
- Disabled YouTube's default behavior of showing videos full screen on mobile devices as that kind of makes this little site a bit useless.
- Bug fix: Going back and forth between pages quickly would sometimes cause the YT player to not show up.
November 27, 2016
- Color of toolbar above fretboard now reflects confidence in ability to auto-detect the root and scale type of song. Green means high confidence, yellow means maybe, red means there's no chance so you'll have to pick your own.
- Many improvements to auto detection of video's root note and scale type.
November 26, 2016
- Automatically parse video titles and update fretboard accordingly. Still a work in progress: only detects titles that use "G Major" style format.
- Added links to About, Changes, and Feedback pages in the header.
November 25, 2016